Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Quilt Festival

I didn't officially sign up for the Blogger's Quilt Festival because I didn't think I had anything new to share but then I realized that I have a bunch of quilts that I made ages ago that I have never posted about.

Back in 2006 I took a Quillow Class at the City Quilter in New York.  For that class I found this fabric and loved it:


 It was green and vibrant and fun.  I thought it would be great for my nephew who was having a birthday soon after the class ended.  But, I loved it so much that I bought more and made a second one on for another little boy in a similar pattern (Will's cousin's son who is a few months younger than our nephew).



I quilted both with some straight lines and rounded squares (to mimic the shapes in the main fabric) using a zig-zag stitch.  It was rather complicated to do the quilting that way since the fabric would bunch up a lot but I really liked the way it turned out.  I like simpler quilting on quilts for babies and children since they will be well used and well loved (at least, I hope they will).  Any one who was following my previous blog might recognize the main fabric since I had  a lot of it left over from those two quilts and I used it as a main fabric in my Spider Web quilt:


What did I learn from this: it's hard to resist cool fabric, quilting with a zig-zag stitch is more complicated than it seems, and keep all scraps because you never know when you might use them in the future!

1 comment:

  1. I always wanted to make a spider quilt. your may have inspired me to do just that!
    thanks!

    Dawn in MA

    ReplyDelete