Thursday, June 10, 2010

TV and Internet

This morning I read an interesting article from the New York Times: Hooked on Gadgets.  It's really very worrisome since I have a young child.  Right now, we have a rule that Dominic is allowed no tv and I'd like that to continue for a long time.  We do let him watch some short videos online (about the alphabet) but they are only about 1-2 minutes long and I always sit with him and talk to him about what he is seeing.  And, I limit his video time to only once or twice a week.  I'm also working on convincing Will that we don't need cable when we move to our new house.  I really see no need for it since I don't want my son to grow up watching tv and playing on computers all the time.

The thing I think will have the most impact on him is how much time Will and I spend on the computer each day.  It seems like the laptop is always on and in the room.  We both check our emails all the time and Will has an iPhone that he lets Dominic play with sometimes (a few toddler friendly games). 
We are no where near the level that the family in the article is at but I could easily see us getting there.  I don't want Dominic to grow up and be that weird kid who never plays video games and never sees tv or movies.  I just want to make sure that both are a low priority for him.

What do you do with your kids?

1 comment:

  1. back in the 80s we lost jobs and the tv broke. we didnt have the money to replace it for about a year or so. there were bills to pay and other things that were more important. we played a lot of cards and board games with the kids. now my kids are adults and still remember all the fun we had as a family playing those games. quality time.
    Dawn in MA

    ReplyDelete