Thursday, April 14, 2011

Reuse


I remember hearing "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" as the main slogan for the green movement when I was a kid and I think that it is a great way to start going green.  It's simple and easy to implement.  Reuse is a big one that many people over look.  So many items in our homes can be reused and not simply thrown away.  Around here I use old jars as storage for beans and pasta in the kitchen or craft goodies in the sewing room.  We save our plastic food tubs for use as bath toys and bath toy storage for the boys. 


 And, old spice containers also make great toys (especially if your little one loves to pretend to cook, like Dominic does - right now he's making orange juice and fruit pizza for us to snack on).  Old sheets (ours are from a twin bed we no longer own) have been saved to use as picnic blankets and as materials to make forts.  I also have a box full of Will's stained/torn button up work shirts that I plan on cutting up and making into a quilt (I need a few more to have enough for a big quilt like I have in mind).  We also keep egg cartons and food boxes for future craft projects and old cotton t-shirts make great rags.  The list can go on and on - just stop before you throw something out to consider if you can reuse it some how and if you can't then can you donate it somewhere or recycle it?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the suggestions, Amber! I just cut up a bunch of old cotton t-shirts to use for rags, and thought of you. :)

    ReplyDelete