Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Postage stamp squares

At the last meeting of the Seattle Modern Quilt Guild we swapped postage stamp squares (2.5 inches).  I swapped 500 of them - others in the group swapped closer to a 1000 (I can't imagine cutting out that many little squares!).  After playing around with several layouts I decided on a scrappy Irish Chain:



Dominic was actually a very good helper - he held up my sketch for me and even told me when he thought I was putting them out wrong!  I think I'll stick with the standard white for the spaces in-between the colored squares.  It won't be all that big - just a lap quilt or maybe a twin size.  I really like the look of scrappy quilts but I have to admit I'm a little intimidated by sewing with such small squares (which I have to say is really funny considering that I made a quilt out of 1 inch hand pieced hexagons!).  Now, I just have to find time to start sewing on it!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Just came across your blog and am enjoying it. I found this website - http://www.quiltville.com/leadersenders.shtml - a few months back. If you scroll down, it has a great scrappy Irish chain quilt made from little squares like yours and an easy way to piece it as you work on other projects. I just started mine a month or so ago and I already have a basket full of 4-patches! Happy quilting!

    ReplyDelete