Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Bubbles blanket


I finally finished my crochet blanket for Malcolm!  It's a very simple bubble pattern in all yellow - this was my car project for a long time.  I really like the pattern - very simple and easy to pick up and put down quickly and not need to worry about where in a pattern I left off.  Malcolm seems to really like it too!

 

Friday, May 25, 2012

Eclipse

Last weekend we headed to southern Oregon to see an annular eclipse.  They are fairly rare and this was almost a once in a life time chance to see one (the next one in our part of the world will be in 50 years or so).  It was pretty amazing and spectacular - the only problem was that you really need specialty equipment to photograph it. 


I did get the above picture with my camera phone - somehow it was giving a weird reflection of the eclipse (not really sure how it came out but I really like it!).  While in the area we also hit up the local children's science museum and I found this exhibit:
 

How cool is that!  Both boys got right to it and played with the design wall for a while before moving on to other exhibits.


There was also a sign on the side that had several puzzles to figure out by putting together the quilting squares in the right order.  Tonight I'm off to the Seattle Modern Quilt Guild sew-in to work on quilting my wonky pinwheel quilt.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Jay McCarroll challenge quilt


Last year the Seattle Modern Quilt Guild participated in the Jay McCarroll Habitat challenge.  I was excited to take up the challenge since I had never participated in one before.  I really liked the way the fabrics looked online - there was lots of green!  But, when I saw them in person I was a little disappointed.  The green wasn't as pretty as it appeared to be and looked a little drab.  And, I had a hard time photographing it - the colors just weren't coming out well in the prints.  It took me a long time to decide what to do with the fabric  In the end I decided that I would make a baby quilt since a friend of mine was pregnant (and I gave it to her last weekend which is why it took so long to blog about it).



I used a ribbon block tutorial from my friend Jessica.  I've also seen similar tutorials online calling it a "slice and dice" or "slice and insert" method.  It was super easy and I really liked how it turned out.  I'll definitely be doing another one.


And, Dominic had to get in on the photo shoot too!