Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Jay McCarroll challenge quilt


Last year the Seattle Modern Quilt Guild participated in the Jay McCarroll Habitat challenge.  I was excited to take up the challenge since I had never participated in one before.  I really liked the way the fabrics looked online - there was lots of green!  But, when I saw them in person I was a little disappointed.  The green wasn't as pretty as it appeared to be and looked a little drab.  And, I had a hard time photographing it - the colors just weren't coming out well in the prints.  It took me a long time to decide what to do with the fabric  In the end I decided that I would make a baby quilt since a friend of mine was pregnant (and I gave it to her last weekend which is why it took so long to blog about it).



I used a ribbon block tutorial from my friend Jessica.  I've also seen similar tutorials online calling it a "slice and dice" or "slice and insert" method.  It was super easy and I really liked how it turned out.  I'll definitely be doing another one.


And, Dominic had to get in on the photo shoot too!

1 comment:

  1. What a neat block. Lots of potential for scrap fabric.

    -PA

    ReplyDelete