Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Blueberries


Recently I took the boys blueberry picking.  I wasn't sure how it would go since they are both still young but I remember picking berries every year as a child and I want to continue the tradition with my kids.  Dominic liked it so much that he said he wanted to do it again and he picked almost as many berries as I did!  Malcolm on the other hand was trouble - he was happy to watch and wander until he figured out that you could eat them and then he picked and ate so many I was afraid he was going to be sick!


What do you do with 4 pounds of blueberries?  Make spiced blueberry jam!


I've made this recipe for several years now and I've made a few changes to suite our tastes.  I'm not a big fan of star anise so I use cloves instead and I also add a teaspoon of cinnamon.  And, I use only 2 1/4 cups sugar and half the vinegar.  It turned out wonderful.  It does smell like cider vinegar when you first open a fresh jar but it never tastes like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment