Thursday, February 21, 2013

First quilt of 2013 finished

I finished my first quilt of 2013 back in January!  It was long over due - I started it in 2010 when I was pregnant with Malcolm.  So far, he likes it and cuddles with it at night and during nap time - both my boys love flannel and minky blankets to snuggle.  This was the quilt of 1001 problems but I decided that I was never going to use the fabric for anything else so I had to finish it.

The main fabric is a flannel that I picked up a long time ago.  It is covered in nursery rhyme images - which is the theme we used for Malcolm's nursery so I thought it would be great for a soft and cuddly baby quilt.  I paired it with pink minky, green striped flannel, a yellow cotton polka-dot, and a blue silky-flannel blend (not sure what it is).  It was a very bad idea to use so many different textures.  I had the hardest time keeping everything lined up and straight.  I used the seam ripper so many times when I was first working on it while pregnant that I started to hate it and bought totally different fabric for his baby quilt.  Then I tried again after he was a few months old and it was again a nightmare.  Finally I pulled it out in early December and was able to get a reasonable top together and I quilted it with a few very simple straight lines to finish it up.  I'm glad it's done - it's nice to finish up something that has been sitting in my work-in-progress pile for so long.  Although, I don't think I will ever try to sew with minky again.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The start of it all...

All the way back in 2004 I bought a fat quarter and that was the start of it all for me and quilting.  I had completed a quilt for my Grandma shortly before that but had no intentions of making another.  Then, and I can't even remember why I was at the fabric store, I saw a raspberry print and loved it.  My original intention was to make a decorative pillow for my bed since it was the same shade of red that was in my duvet but I never actually made anything.  And some how, again I'm not sure how or why, I started collecting fat quarters of fruit and vegetable themed fabric.  Nine years later and I had a pile of 38 different fabrics.  I finally had to cut into it and made myself a lap quilt.
It was really hard to start this project.  I had so many different plans over the years for the fabric but when it came down to it none of them seemed right for the fabric I had in front of me when it came time to cut.  After hours on flicker, I decided on a wonky 9 patch. Simple and easy but a fun way to combine the bright colors.  I only used a 9 inch square of 36 of the fabrics so next up will be a traditional 9 patch.  

I love it and I'm glad I finally cut into the fabric - now I can start using it in other things.  And, the whole thing was completed in 3 weeks in January!