Thursday, March 27, 2014

Granny square blocks

I've been working on a granny square block set for almost two years now.  The blocks have come together slowly as I've been piecing them in between other projects or when I had only had a few minutes to spend in my sewing room working. Sewing the blocks together is relatively quick - what took me so long was laying out each block and finding color combos that I really liked.  At the last two SMQG sew-ins I was able to finish up the last few blocks and I have the twenty blocks I wanted for a whole quilt.

Now, the dilemma I face is deciding on a layout. Do you like option one:


Or option two:


I can't decide because there are elements of each layout that I really enjoy. I plan on using scrappy white tone-on-tone fabrics as the sashing/extra squares in between the quilt blocks.


Monday, March 17, 2014

Current works in progress


This past week I've made little progress on my flower garden EPP - as of this morning I have 10 flowers completed.  I am now trying to decide if I should sew them altogether directly or have some sort of border in between the flowers. I did decide that it will be a pillow for the couch - our living room is in sore need some more color. 


In addition to my current EPP project, I've been working on a wonky log cabin and a scrappy Granny Square block. The log cabin will be for one of my nieces so I'm making it in pastel colors and I'm trying to incorporate lots of little surprises by fussy cutting the center squares. So far, it's a huge pile of scraps with a few completed blocks sitting on top of the pile. My Granny square project is stored in a shoebox with the completed blocks sitting on top of it. This feels rather sloppy to me, but I've yet to come up with a better way to manage current works in progress when I'm working on so many different things at one time.

How do you organize your current works in progress? 

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

First finish of 2014


I finished my first quilt of 2014 in February.  It was a simple machine applique design that I had started back in November for my newest neice, Annabella.  I was just in time too - I finished it three days before she was born and it arrived at her home the day after she did!  The design was inspired by a duvet cover in Baby Stuff by Aranzi Aronzo.  I drew the animals onto the fabric freehand and then used a zigzag stich to applique them.  It was super fast and easy.  I choose this pattern because I wanted a simple and fun baby quilt that would allow me a large space to practice some free motion quilting.  Some frustrations with the quilting on this quilt led me to putting it away twice.  I was trying to free motion quilt a fairly simple loopy design but I was having a lot of tension issues and had to unpick most of my work on both occasions.  Eventually, it all worked out and I am really please with how it turned out.


I also finished my Riley Blake challenge project that was sponsored by the Modern Quilt Guild.  It was a fun little group of fabrics that I used to make a giant tote bag.  The bag is large enough for my big cutting mat and rulers and still have room left over for several projects - the perfect bag for future Seattle Modern Quilt Guild sew-ins!

Monday, March 10, 2014

New epp travel project

I started a new paper piecing project recently and I'm loving it. I am making 3/4 inch hexagon flowers in blues and greens.  I have so many small scraps that I needed a tiny paper piecing project and this fits the bill perfectly!  And, there is something comforting about using up such small scraps.


I am still making progress on my penrose tile quilt but the pattern is not one that makes it easy to travel with - the aperiodic tiling means I have to put each piece in its specific place.  I finally reached the point where I had to lay it out and plan where each diamond was going to make sure it would turn out correctly. The hexagon grandmothers flower pattern on the other hand is perfect for traveling because all I need to plan is each individual flower.  So far, I've competed seven flowers but I'm not sure how many I have to go until it's finished. I'm still trying to decide if I want it as a pillow for the couch or as a spring table runner.