Wednesday, March 12, 2014

First finish of 2014


I finished my first quilt of 2014 in February.  It was a simple machine applique design that I had started back in November for my newest neice, Annabella.  I was just in time too - I finished it three days before she was born and it arrived at her home the day after she did!  The design was inspired by a duvet cover in Baby Stuff by Aranzi Aronzo.  I drew the animals onto the fabric freehand and then used a zigzag stich to applique them.  It was super fast and easy.  I choose this pattern because I wanted a simple and fun baby quilt that would allow me a large space to practice some free motion quilting.  Some frustrations with the quilting on this quilt led me to putting it away twice.  I was trying to free motion quilt a fairly simple loopy design but I was having a lot of tension issues and had to unpick most of my work on both occasions.  Eventually, it all worked out and I am really please with how it turned out.


I also finished my Riley Blake challenge project that was sponsored by the Modern Quilt Guild.  It was a fun little group of fabrics that I used to make a giant tote bag.  The bag is large enough for my big cutting mat and rulers and still have room left over for several projects - the perfect bag for future Seattle Modern Quilt Guild sew-ins!

No comments:

Post a Comment