Monday, August 25, 2014

Flower Garden Pillow

I spent a lovely six hours sewing this past weekend with a group from the Seattle Modern Quilt Guild.  I adore our guild sew-in's and try to go every month.  I always accomplish lots of sewing and enjoy great company.  My wonderful husband takes the three boys out all day so I can attend and have a fun/rest day.  

I finished up my Grandmothers flower garden pillow.  It's all hand pieced 3/4 inch hexagons with simple loopy free motion quilting. I'm very pleased with it and have already sketched out a few more pillow ideas in my notebook. 

I also started working on my mini quilted item for the guilds secret swap.  I'm not sure about it; I found an Instagram picture of my swap partners to use as inspiration but it doesn't feel right.  I can't say too much now since I don't want to ruin the surprise.  I might go another route and save this for something else.

Monday, August 11, 2014

Summer EPP

Sewing time this summer has been rather scarce.  Summer fun and travels (not to mention three crazy wild little boys) seem to get in the way of staying indoors at my machine.  We've also had a summer exchange student from Spain staying with us so we've been doing lots of local travel.
 I started my Modern Quilt guild Michael Miller challenge back in April with plenty of time to get it finished by the July deadline but somehow the deadline just flew right on past me!  I did make some very slow progress over the past month.  And we have another long trip coming up so I think it'll be done soon (or at least some progress will be made!). 
We have accomplished lots in the kitchen this summer though!  We've been picking tons of berries and making all types of jam and preserves.  We even taught our exchange student how to make spiced blueberry jam!

Saturday, August 9, 2014

SMQG Charity blocks

I've been enjoying small bits of sewing time lately working on some fun blocks for the next Seattle Modern Quilt guild charity quilt.  The next project is going to be done in the cream, gray, citron, and aqua blue.  This was perfect for me since I already have a lot of fabrics in the right colors in my stash.  My first set (above) all finished at 6.5 inches square and the second set finished at 12.5 inches square (below).

I chose to stick with the standard guild designated blocks of the month for my contribution.  And, I discovered that I really like making scrappy string blocks; they are a fun way to use up small bits of favorite fabric and still make interesting and beautiful quilt blocks.

I also acquired yardage of this stack of Kona solids to make a quilt for Malcolm (I let him pick the colors).  I have a few ideas I'll be testing out and I hope to have a quilt for him by Christmas.