Friday, February 6, 2015

Old quilt and shrinkage

Over the holidays we visited family and I came across this quilt on my nephews bed.


I made it for him 8-9 years ago and it's been well loved, washed a LOT, and well used by him. It was one of my first quilts (I think the 4th or 5th). I remember quilting this quilt because I really had no idea what I was doing and did some very simple stitch-in-the-ditch quilting. 


As you can see from the pictures above there has been a lot of shrinkage and it really doesn't look good now. I do not remember what type of batting was used (I'm guessing some type of blend). I think that I prewashed the fabric but it was so long ago I can't be sure.

I'm pretty clueless as to why this happened. I also don't have any of the quilts I made during this time period to compare it with. Would it have shrank as much with more quilting? 

1 comment:

  1. I see this a lot with older quilts that do not have a lot of quilting or have been tied. I would guess that more quilting would help. I would also say that prewashing is critical to prevent shrinkage.
    -PA

    ReplyDelete