Wednesday, August 19, 2015

QuiltCon mini

I was lucky to attend QuiltCon 2015 in Austin this past February.  It was an amazing event and I came away totally overloaded with inspiration.  I met many internet friends and quilting celebrities, saw an amazing number of spectacular quilts, and had a fantastic trip with my Seattle Modern guild friends.  I was able to take two classes while there: quilting with Angela Walters and a workshop with the Gee's Bend quilters.  I learned a lot and finally finished (last month!) my mini quilt from my Gee's Bend workshop.  


I choose to hand quilt my mini since that is the way the Gee's Bend quilters finish their work.  It was the perfect size to carry with me and I completed most of the quilting while at our Friday homeschool co-op.  My fabrics are a mix of old men's shirts that were my husbands, a small scrap of green, and a bunch of neutral scraps (some mine and some from the scrap bin at the workshop).  I included one small scrap of Cotton & Steel pink in the corner.  It seemed appropriate given how popular Cotton & Steel was at the convention and it gave it a nice little pop of color.


I have very mixed feelings about this project.  The workshop was not was I was anticipating and it was a process that I find difficult.  Improve is just not my thing even though I keep trying.  I am pleased with what I created and it will go on my wall of mini quilts in my sewing room.  I did learn a few interesting tips when working with improve from the workshop that make it more accessible to me so there might be more improve in the future (or not!).

1 comment:

  1. Oh I like it! The class wasn't what I expected either, but I'm glad to have taken it.

    ReplyDelete